“Why?” It’s a question we ask from the time we’re first able to formulate words until we’ve reached the latest stages of our later years. The only thing that changes is what type of question you’re asking. As a homeowner, the “why” questions often have to do with your heater and air conditioner, particularly when something goes wrong.
If you’ve experienced a problem recently, you too might be asking a “why” question, such as “Why did this happen?” or “Why did it have to happen now” Have no fear, Florida Cool is here to answer your questions! This month were doing something a little different for our blog. Instead of writing on ONE TOPIC, were answering a few “why” questions you may have about your air conditioner.
Why is My Air Conditioner Not Working?
Ah, the golden question that we get from almost everyone who calls us with a repair request! There lots of reasons this might be the case, but there are a few answers we see more frequently.
- Make sure the unit is on and receiving power. Check the main electrical panel and look for a blown fuse or tripped breaker. If the one that regulates your air conditioner is blown or tripped, simply flip the break off then back on, or replace the fuse.
- Be sure the thermostat is set to “COOL.” We know this sounds silly, but you wouldn’t believe how many people simply forget to switch their thermostat over from “heat” to “cool” when the temperature cranks up. It’s such a miniscule thing that it’s sometimes overlooked and can be the entire root of your problem!
- Check the batteries in the thermostat. Slide the cover off your thermostat and replace the batteries. Again, this is something so small that it’s easy to forget about, but could potentially be the root of your entire problem. While you’re at it, make sure all wires are connected to their outlets and there’s no rogue wires!
Why is My Heater Not Blowing Hot Air?
This is a hot question right now, as we are in the winter months. Though we live in beautiful, sunny, Florida, it does get a little cold and we need some heat in the house. Here a few answers to some of your questions.
- The heat compressor isn’t working properly. When the heat compressor isn’t working, the unit cannot extract heat from outside your home and carry it back in to warm the air that passes over your indoor coils. When your system doesn’t seem to want to blow warm air into your home, odds are your compressor may be the root cause. Call Florida Cool at (239) 747-1096 to request a diagnosis and find out if this is the case.
- The defroster is running. Approximately every hour, your system switches over to the defroster to reduce the chances of it freezing. The defroster blows cool air through your home for a brief period, but your heater will continue to blow warm air in your home soon after.
If you have tried everything and waited out for the warm air to begin flowing again, it may need to be repaired. Call Florida Cool at (239)-594-9871 and we will have a tech sent out as soon as possible.
Why is My Air Conditioner So Loud?
Does your air conditioner seem like it’s making an unusually high amount of noise? If there’s no mistaking that your system is being horrendously loud, do not ignore it! The loud noise is usually an indication of a significant problem rearing its ugly head. If this isn’t taken care of quickly, the problem could worsen and your repair bill to fix it could only get bigger.
- The first problem may be that screw is loose. When an air conditioner is on and running, it vibrates which overtime, can make some screws become loose. SO, go check out your unit and scan it and hopefully, the only thing you must do is tighten up a screw.
- It may be time to lubricate the motor in your unit. One quick and effortless way to calm the grinding noise to add SAE 10 oil to the oil ports on your unit. Do this before every summer to ensure that your unit will be quite year-round.
- Check your coil fins. When you look down from the top of the unit, you’ll see the fan. One reason a unit may be noisy is that the fins are clogged with dirt or debris. Simply grab your vacuum with the brush attachment and suck out all the debris.
Contact Florida Cool, Inc. online now to request a service and schedule a repair appointment for your needs!